Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the latest version of Google's free web analytics service. It comes with several improvements over the previous Universal Analytics (UA). If you are new to Google Analytics, starting with GA4 is recommended. Here is a step-by-step guide to get started:
Create a Google Analytics Account
- Go to analytics.google.com and sign in with your Google account.
- Click on Admin in the bottom left corner.
- Select Create Account.
- Enter your account name, reporting time zone, and currency. Then click Next.
Set Up Data Stream
- On the Create Property screen, enter your website URL and select Web as the data stream.
- Accept the data sharing settings and privacy options.
- Click Next and your data stream will be created.
Install Tracking Code
- Go to Data Streams in the left sidebar and select your web stream.
- Click on Tracking Code and copy the snippet.
- Paste the tracking code before the
</head>tag on every page of your website.
Configure Data Controls
- Under Data Streams, select Data Controls.
- Here you can enable/disable data collection as needed for your analysis.
Set Up Google Tag Manager
- Create a Google Tag Manager account and container.
- Create a GA4 tag and use the container snippet on your site.
- Configure tags for events, conversions etc.
That's it! GA4 will now start collecting analytics data from your website. Explore the reports and start measuring your site traffic and engagement.